Welcome to our COVID-19 Response Page. Below you’ll find all the critical information about how Bronx High School for Medical Sciences is changing the way we operate to reduce the risk of COVID infection. We are doing everything we can to make sure staff, students, and families are safe. Please check back regularly, as we will update the information here as conditions change.
Last updated: January 6, 2021
We have put safety procedures in place to keep our students and staff healthy.
- Illness: Students and staff exhibiting signs of illness or having a fever of greater than 100°F must stay home and notify the school. If you or someone you know has COVID-19 (or shows symptoms of COVID-19 such as coughing or fever), it is required that you quarantine for a minimum of 5 days and continue to wear an KN95 mask or greater quality days 6-10 and notify the school.
- Directions for local COVID testing: Please visit the NYS Coronavirus Find a Test Site page to find a test site closest to you.
We are committed to making sure that all students can successfully connect to online learning during their at-home learning days.
- All BHSMS students receive a Chromebook to use for their online learning. HS students are provided one device and carry it with them throughout the day from class to class as well as traveling to and from school. MS students are provided one device to keep at home for homework and have a second device in their assigned classroom.
- If your children experience internet-connectivity issues with their DOE assigned iPads, they can request help through the Technical Support for Families form.
- Borrowed devices should be used for school purposes only and kept in a secure location.
Remote Learning Expectations
During hybrid or 100% remote learning, your child is expected to complete all assignments provided by the teacher. At the same time, we recognize that working independently at home is different and difficult for many students, so we want to provide flexibility.
- Students and families should check Google Classroom daily for important updates from their teachers.
- When signing in for virtual classes or meetings, students are expected to be on time, appropriately dressed, and ready to learn. We suggest signing in 5 minutes before class starts. Please try to reduce background noise and distractions as much as possible.